We are pleased to have partnered with the
New Hartford Historical Society
. Society members have graciously provided us with the following information.
New Hartford has a rich history. Col. Jedediah Sanger arrived penniless in 1788. He decided to move westward in search of greater opportunity and adventure. Sanger selected our present village to settle in because of its excellent farm land, ample supply of water and close proximity to other established settlements. After building a shelter Sanger traveled to Philadelphia and purchased 1,000 acres of land at $.50 per acre on credit from George Washington and George Clinton. The following year he shrewdly sold a little over half the land on the east side of the Sauquoit Creek to JoJoseph Higbee (Higby) at $1.00 per acre.
In 1789 Co. Sanger brought his family here. The same year he constructed a sawmill, followed by a grist mill in 1790. Before the grist mill was built, the inhabitants of New Hartford has to travel by horseback or on foot with their grain to Palatine or Whitestown. The mills used the clean, clear rushing waters of the Sauquoit Creek. Also in this year, the first mail route between New Hartford and Canajoharie was completed. Thanks to Sanger, the colony grew rapidly.
Throughout the early 19th Century, industry flourished in New Hartford. The Sauquoit Creek was an excellent and reliable source of power for many businesses. In addition to tanneries, plants were built to manufacture cut nails and carpets. Knitting mills, paper mills, and canning factories were also built. Numerous farms existed throughout the area and provided New Hartford and nearby communities with adequate supplies of fresh vegetables and meats.
New Hartford 1888
Farmlands’ Volume I was done in 2004 and documented 53 farms and has been very successful and created a lot of interest in the farming going on in the Town.
Call 793-3206 for books.
For more information on the New Hartford Historical Society:
Contact: Jeffery Madden, President
Location: 2 Paris Road, New Hartford, NY 13413
Mondays 1:00 - 3:00pm
3rd Saturday each month April thru December 11:00am - 2:00pm
Historical Society Board
|Steve Grant, Mary Hayes Gordon, Doreen Reynolds, Mary MacEnroe & Ellie Moran
|Bob Jones, Barbara Munde & Lewis Smith